Friday, July 18, 2008

movie review: batman, the dark knight




Movie Title: The Dark Knight

Starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman, Michael Cain, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Morgan Freeman

Rated PG13 for graphic violence and language

** (2 stars out of 5)

Last night was the premiere of the second Batman movie titled "The Dark Knight". I saw it at 12:06 a.m. It was roughly 2 and a half hours long.

I did not like it. I am not really a dark-scary-movie person. In fact, I'm really not a dark-scary-movie person. I like happy movies, movies that make me laugh, Disney movies, and children's animated films. Why did I even go to Batman? I do not know. However, I can try to analyze it objectively and tell you how the movie was without spoiling it.

The plot line is about average. It doesn't have any crazy or unexpected twists, its just the usual Batman against Joker routine. The Joker is creepy, scary, evil as ever. Batman/Bruce Wayne is as heroic, attractive, self-sacrificing as he always is. It is very quick-moving, but it is quite a long movie and you will notice that it is long. There are no "happy parts". The entire movie is shrouded in night, darkness. I suppose you should've been able to tell that from the title...and boy, it lives up to its name. There are the occasional "deep quotes" from Batman's faithful advisors Alfred, Lucius, and Gordon, such as "The night is always darkest just before the dawn" and that sort of thing. In the end, its good as a hero movie. But I couldn't stand the inherent darkness of it.

It is also extremely sad. The casualty list is high...and sometimes the good guys die. There is a distinct lack of romance, which I don't necessarily mind but which can life the heaviness of such a movie. In this case, there was no lift, no relief from the hefty subject matter.

I think that's basically it. There you have it. Watch it at your own risk.

No comments: