Saturday, February 28, 2009

adventurous eating day


above: collard greens

Yesterday some of my best friends and I went to Tucano's. It was my first time ever going there, and J-Dawg and I decided to make that day count by turning it into Adventurous Eating Day and eating all sorts of things we would normally never, ever try. Here is a complete list of all the freakish things we ate (complete with commentary and ratings!)
  • Farofa 
Sort of like stuffing, like little tiny spiced bread crumbs-possibly meant to be a topping.
Actually, really good. I'd put it on mashed potatoes and meat and basically everything.
  • Quail Egg
Roughly the size and shape of an eyeball, white with black flecks.
It just tasted like a boiled egg. Not bad. 
  • Sushi
This doesn't sound crazy, but for the girl who never eats fish, let alone RAW fish, it was a big step.
It tasted pretty good. I'm still naturally revolted by fishy tastes, but once I got over that, it was okay.
  • Collard Greens
Possibly spinach with bacon and some other mystery ingredients.
No bien. Do not go for it.
  • Chicken Heart
I'm not really sure what it tasted like, because the very idea was so utterly disgusting that I sort of just shoved it in my mouth, chewed as quickly as possible, and swallowed. It was warm, and I freaked myself out by imagining it beating. While it was inside my mouth.
Possibly the grossest thing we ate. There are no upsides.
  • Mango Cod
Again, this was a big step for me because I hate fish. 
Aside from the fishy taste, I loved it.
  • Heart of Palm
No one is exactly sure what "heart of palm" is, but we think its the center of the stem of a palm leaf?
Tastes like asparagus marinated in...something. Not terribly delicious, but not bad.

After eating all of this in one meal, plus much, much, more, I woke up the next morning violently ill. But it was worth it. I'd do it again.

Love,
Lizzy ;-)

1 comment:

Chels said...

Oooh fun! Next time take me with you!