Tuesday, August 5, 2008

book review: breaking dawn

Here I post the long-awaited book review of...


Book Title: Breaking Dawn
Author: Stephenie Meyer

*** (3 stars out of 5)

Okay, I know many of you haven't read it but will, so I'm going to have a non-spoiler review and then at the end I'm going to do some spoiling. But don't worry, the spoiling will be well-marked, so if you don't want to know, you definitely won't accidentally find out anything because of me!

Basically, I had no choice in this. I was going to read the book, and I was going to finish it, no matter how much I hated it, because I'd committed to the series. And so in my view, it doesn't matter how good or bad it was, I had to read it. 

This is the 4th installment of the Twilight series, a dark romance about Bella, an unusually clumsy girl, and Edward, a shockingly beautiful vampire. Of course, lots of bad things happen along the way and such. In this final book, Breaking Dawn, Bella has to choose between Edward and his complete opposite (and her devoted lover) Jacob. That goes well. I'm not going to tell you about much of the plot, because I don't want to spoil the rest of the series for those who haven't read them all yet but are planning on it, but I will say this: There is some blood and gore, which I really did not like. There is some suggestiveness, but its not dirty, just probably not for children. Halfway through the book, the series is totally wrapped up and concluded, and could easily have been finished then...but then another crisis is hastily tacked on. 

All in all, I didn't like the book because I didn't appreciate the bloodiness or the plot twists. I liked it because I love Edward, and because I had to know how it ended.

Definitely not for less than the avid vampire-fiction readers, because at over 700 pages its not a bit of light reading. Also, its almost solely a teenage girl book (although many young moms love it too)...not for boys or for pre-teens, at all. 

Buy it on Amazon here for $12.64.





**SPOILER WARNING!**

Okay, here's my uncensored review of the book. DON'T read on if you haven't read the book unless you want it to be ruined for you!! 

First of all, I always knew Bella would end up with Edward. There was just no way she would've thrown Edward away for Jacob. That got blown up into a big debate because some people got bored. But I was still really glad she did. I was also really glad she married Edward before she became a vampire. Basically this whole series I have been on the edge of my seat, hoping she'll just get married already and become a vampire. So I was glad about that. I really hated the whole "honeymoon" part. I mean, what WAS that? Not only was it boring, it was pointless and dumb. The foreign servants getting all creepy just came out of nowhere and had no actual bearing on the book. I think we could just remove that whole chapter or however long it is and it would make the book significantly better. 

Secondly, I hated the kid. Renesmee. I hate her. She creeps me out like nothing else. Never in the series have I been creeped out by the idea of vampires or anything like that, but I draw the line at the weird halfling. I hated Bella's pregnancy. I hated the Leah tangent...who cares about her? I hated Jacob and Edward's "friendship" when Edward was "the burning man". I hated the whole Volturi nonsense...that was unnecessary, and it didn't even get fully resolved. I HATED that Jacob "imprinted" on Renesmee.

Basically, I hated everything in the book that seemed to be shoved in there to take up space. Which is most of the book. I honestly really didn't like it, and yet I did, because I got what I wanted (Edward and Bella together, forever), and I got my solid conclusion.

Happy reading!

Lizzy

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow. Say it like you mean it. :)

I for one loved it. I think that we need to have a little neighborhood book club meeting when everyone is done reading.

What do you say?

Isabelle Wright said...

I totally agree! Let's do it.

And yeah...I have strong feelings about my literature!!