Friday, July 17, 2009

how I got my grades: part 2

This is another actual assignment that was indeed turned in and received a score of 100%. It was supposed to be an in-depth literary analysis on an AP-approved book read in addition to our classroom reading. I chose to "read" Emma by Jane Austen.

Emma: A Really, Really Good Response
I'm going to be very frank here and say that I was not exactly reading Emma for literary analysis. I was reading Emma because it is fun. I believe in reading for fun, and while the public school system is very much against me on this, I'm trying to find ways to evade its evil clutches. So I read something that was on the precious AP list, but also fun to read, and thus satisfied everyone. Except you, because this response isn't actually an analysis.

Why am I writing this, anyways? Is it to prove I've read the book? Because no offense, but a response is a very poor way to assess that fact. I could quite easily read Spark Notes, come to some conclusion involving the words "social commentary", "Jane Austen", and "Victorian", and call it good. I would be right, and I wouldn't be plagarizing, but I wouldn't have proved that I'd read the book, either. Just that I'm really good at reading Spark Notes.

Because my ethics do not allow me to spend time engaging in anything that is irrefutably pointless, I belive I've given you a good deal more information in this response than any of my wonderful classmates, who, while possessing a great deal of intelligence, are woefully inadequate at individuality. They are, in fact, quite content to be prodded in any which way, like cattle. But I am not a member of the heifer species, and thus, you are smiply going to have to trust me when I say I read Emma. As you would have if I'd written an in-depth literary response that was entirely faked. As, I assure you, are many of the responses you receive. I trust this response was just as thought-provoking as the deepest of those so-called literary analyses you get. I, personally, believe my way of responding to be a good deal more...educational. :)

Note: The way this response started was that I sat down to write it at least five times, but couldn't come up with anything at all to write. So I just starting spouting off, and ended up turning it in. My teacher wrote "50/50 100%" on it in enormous letters, and included a very large and sadly misshapen smiley face.

It was the weirdest day of my life.

Love,
Lizzy

1 comment:

Chels said...

Oh Isabelle I love you. And I'm proud of you for fighting off the evil clutches of the public school system :) haha