So, some of you may know, that I sort of have a vehicle. It is technically my stepfather's vehicle. Also, it is a 1985 Ford pickup. With 208,000 miles on it. And it is multicolored. And leaks all fluids. But I love Butch, because he has faithfully served me without complaint. The problem is that now I work half an hour from my apartment. Which is not that big of a deal. Except in this place I live, it snows. Pickup truck + rear wheel drive + snow + Lizzy's crappy snow driving abilities = death.
I also have scholarships. A lot of scholarships. Too many scholarships, in fact. So I got handed a chunk of money when this semester started. And since I really doubt I will ever see that much money handed to me again, I figured this was probably the best time to actually replace my awesome pickup.
It turns out car shopping is really annoying. I looked at so many cars. I am pretty picky and didn't want to spend money and so it took me a while.
Today during my Psych Stats class I noticed an ad for a 1999 Ford Taurus with only 104,000 miles on it. This caught me interest. Stats did not. So after class I called an old man and got directions to his house. The old man was selling the car, by the way. Visiting random old men is not a hobby of mine.
Then my friend...he needs a nickname to keep him from the brilliance and subsequent drug rehab of stardom. We shall call him...Blaze. So Blaze and I went after work to check out this Taurus.
I found the elderly man, living in a garage, eating some tacos and wearing 70's shorts. Already, I thought, I like this man. He then handed me the keys and said, "Go check them airbags." So I drove the car around. It seemed to be in perfect condition mechanically, although its exterior was a little rough around the edges. Also, the man was just awesome. I said, "$2400." He said, "Okay."
And now I have a 99 Taurus. Now, the back windshield had some coating that is peeling off, and well, it needs a little love, but since it has so few miles on it (for a $2400 car), I'm happy. And I don't need to pay anything for mechanical parts or getting it fixed up. Awesome. Awesome. Plus...it has a radio! And air conditioning! And I can finally stop looking for a car. Wooooot.
Love,
Lizzy ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment